Monday, December 15, 2008

Three of a Kind - Workin' on a Full House

This is the type of hand that will either drive you to drink or keep you coming back to play more poker....

It took place in the Bodog $500 PTs Freeroll that began at 10:40pm
Hand #1458993940

It's 2 am in the morning and at this point in the tournament,
I want to make the top ten for a better payday.

I'm in the BB with $43,592.00 in chips and dealt Qs-9h.
On my left is the chip leader with $207,031.00
Pre-flop the chip leader calls $3000 as does the SB.

The flop is Jh-4s-Qc

I call the bet of the SB for $3000 and am raised by the chip leader to $6000 and call as does the SB. The chip leader has been making some loose calls and raises up to this point, bullying the table, so I put him on a J or maybe a Q and figure he might have the better kicker.

The turn is another Q.

I bet $6000 and am raised to 12,000 by the chip leader.
My fears are confirmed, knowing he has a queen but still think he might just have a J. I'm down to $21,000 chips at this point and can't let go of 3-Q's and call his raise.

The river is a 9c!
I hit the full house and sure I got him!
even if he does have a Q...
I go all in with the rest of my chips...he calls...

I show Q-Q-Q-9-9
He shows Q-Q-Q-J-J

Can you hear the air being let out of this brief moment of elation?

3 hours and 30 minutes of hard work,ends in 1 minute for $3.50

I didn't get angry,I'm gettin used to this stuff happening...but was stunned for a minute losing with a full house...

Thank god for blogging...this is where you have to let this stuff go!

Could I have played this hand diffrently? At this stage of my poker life,I don't think so. However,this lesson will not be forgotten anytime soon when I find myself in a similar situation.

The positive thing about having to play freerolls for a living, is it's teaching me patience and I feel my game is leveling off from the wild swings in my cash game experiences. Consistency is giving me confidence. If I can cash out in these freerolls of 900-3000 people when they call everything, perhaps I'll do better in MTT's in the future...

How would you have played this hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment